Reminder: Tomorrow is THE LIAR’S DIARY Blog Day

by Susan Henderson on January 28, 2008

Here’s a reminder that tomorrow is THE LIAR’S DIARY Blog Day, and more than 300 of you said, “Count me in!”

THE LIAR’S DIARY at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Powell’s

My post will go up at midnight tomorrow, and you are more than welcome to take any text, photos, audio or video you like in order to make it easier to participate on the big day. Everyone who takes part will be linked to LitPark, and it is not to late to join us.

As a little surprise for Patry, a gift before the big day, here’s something she hasn’t seen this yet – it’s from her husband, Ted, who included in his letter this photo he’d taken of Patry at Skinner State Park, 25 years after their first date there.

One of the happiest days of my life was the day I met my wife, Patry Francis for the very first time. I had just moved to Northampton, MA after graduating from Penn State University and had stopped to eat lunch at a restaurant where she was working. It was love at first sight. She was the most beautiful woman I had ever set my eyes on and it took me about two months to get the courage to ask her out on a date. Little did I know at the time how she would transform my life from a shy, insecure, college grad into a happy and proud father and minister; a better and holier person. She has so many qualities I have tried to emulate and she continues to inspire me with her enthusiasm for life and her ability to enkindle others with her actions, as well as, words.

She taught me the meaning of compassion and has the ability to make everyone around her feel important no matter whom they are or what they do, especially the poor and least among us. She has been given a gift to see situations from the heart which she uses to help others bring out the best in themselves and no one is turned away who asks for advice or help.

She exemplified the meaning of sacrifice as she forfeited many years of her writing career to help support our family. Working the difficult and physically demanding job as a banquet waitress and raising our four children left her little opportunity to spend doing what she loved most, writing. She also put off her endeavor to get back into serious writing while I attended the seminary for five years. She never once complained always putting everyone else’s needs before hers, including mine.

In short, words can’t describe how lucky and blessed I am to have Patry as my spouse. She is a woman filled with love, peace, and goodness and every day I marvel and am amazed what an awe-inspiring twenty five years it has been to be with her. Of all the gifts I have been given in life, wonderful parents and sisters, four beautiful and talented children, the miracle of three special grandchildren (one more on the way), none have been greater than the day God introduced me to my beautiful wife.

Finally, I would like to thank Susan Henderson, Laura Benedict, Jessica Keener, Karen Dionne, Tish Cohen, Alice Tasman (the Best Literary Agent in New York) and *all of you* who are trying to help make Patry’s book a success. Yet again, we have been blessed to be part of such an inspiring community of talented writers and to witness the goodness and love that all of you have shown to Patry as she journeys through her difficult situation with cancer.

See you at midnight tomorrow, and my sincere thanks to everyone who took time out of their busy schedules to help this dear friend and awesome writer! xo

robinslick January 28, 2008 at 12:09 am

Oh God, I couldn’t sleep and came downstairs to fool around on line and just saw Ted’s post here. Now I’m bawling like a baby.

I can’t even imagine how Patry is going to feel when she reads this.

I’m so honored to be taking part in this on Tuesday. Thank you so much for all of your hard work, Sue, Karen, Jessica, Tish and Laura.

xo

Nathalie January 28, 2008 at 4:21 am

Lovely letter. And I just love this conspiration of friends you guys put up.

Kimberly January 28, 2008 at 9:48 am

How touching! Can’t wait to see what happens tomorrow!

Aurelio January 28, 2008 at 9:49 am

I’m all set for my post!

SusanHenderson January 28, 2008 at 11:02 am

Me, too. The hardest part is waiting!

SusanHenderson January 28, 2008 at 11:03 am

I know. I’m dying to see what Robin’s got planned because I saw her teaser.

SusanHenderson January 28, 2008 at 11:03 am

You know you’ve done well in life when someone can write a letter like that about you.

SusanHenderson January 28, 2008 at 11:06 am

I feel honored to be involved, too.

I told Patry that by no means is she allowed to comment on any of the posts or blogs or the whole idea of giving her time to rest is blown and I will have to ring her neck.

jessicaK January 28, 2008 at 11:14 am

Ted. Oh. What a beautiful letter. And most fitting that Patry is sitting on that boulder–a perfect visual representation of your marriage. How cool. Thanks for sharing with us. Believe me, we’re the ones who are blessed to be part of this–Jessica Keener

Laura_Benedict January 28, 2008 at 11:15 am

I love a good cry in the morning. That was one of the best love letters I’ve ever read!

Can’t wait until tomorrow!

patry January 28, 2008 at 12:29 pm

Sue, I knew you and Ted had something planned–but this!!! Oh jeez, I’m crying all over my keyboard. But one thing I need to make clear:Ted is the real and only saint in our family. I’m the cranky writer in the sweat pants who forgets laundry and dinner and just about everything else when she’s “in the middle of something”–even when that something is only writer’s block. The beauty in his letter is very much in the eye of the beholder.

More love than I can describe to Ted for writing this letter–and for living out the words every day for twenty-seven years.

Love, too, to Susan, to the “fabulous four” as my agent calls Karen, Laura, Jessica and Tish for organizing blog day and to the amazing writers, most of whom I’ve never met, who have agreed to participate. It’s a good, good world.

I’m so excited about tomorrow I might spontaneously combust if I think about it.

Anthony S. Policastro January 28, 2008 at 1:01 pm

The best letter I’ve ever read! If I wasn’t at work, I would probably be crying right now.

Aimee January 28, 2008 at 1:15 pm

I cannot wait until tomorrow. I relate so much to Patry. At least her love of serving and her second job as a writer. I am also in awe of her spirit and am a little jealous that I don’t know her in person. I’m glad she has a husband like this.
This whole idea is awesome!
Aimee

Carolyn_Burns_Bass January 28, 2008 at 1:43 pm

I, too, am loaded and waiting. I mean, my page is loaded and waiting to hit publish. So shall I wait until midnight Pacific time, or publish here at nine, which will be midnight Eastern time? Oh, heck. I can’t wait. I’m publishing at nine my time.

Never before have I been so blessed to be part of the global village as now. This is truly an event of McLuhan scope and one he would have been blessed to see.

terrybain January 28, 2008 at 2:20 pm

I tried to put a Liar’s Diary widget here into the comments directly, but it didn’t work, so the next best thing was to post a page with the widget and I’ll link that. Warning, though, the page I posted is on my blog, so you have to put up with me and my blog if you want that widget. Which is over here:

Blessings.

Gail Siegel January 28, 2008 at 2:58 pm

All I can say is how sorry I am that I’m working 80 hrs a week right now, and between that and my broken foot, can’t do a damn thing. But I am beaming good energy your way.

Carolyn_Burns_Bass January 28, 2008 at 3:06 pm

P.S. Thank you, Ted, for this lovely tribute. Blisses to the both of you.

Kimberly January 28, 2008 at 3:16 pm

Oh. My. God.

That widget is the blog-diggity! :-)

Karen Dionne January 28, 2008 at 3:52 pm

And wouldn’t that just be a shame, after all this! Better behave yourself tomorrow, Patry!

xoxo

Beth Kephart January 28, 2008 at 5:21 pm

I’m looking forward to taking part in this. A beautiful gesture, an exemplifying kindness.

Take care,

Beth Kephart

Maryanne Stahl January 28, 2008 at 7:16 pm

What a beautiful letter from Ted. I am so honored and happy to be a part of this.

And because I know a lot of regular folk who don’t read writers’ blogs, I sent an email to family and friends telling them about Patry and this day, and I’ve heard back already that many of them plan to buy the book and pass on the word.

Tish Cohen January 28, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Ted, you are the dearest soul. That you and Patry found each other is a tiny miracle.

xox to you both,
Tish

rdl January 29, 2008 at 7:25 pm

Beautiful letter Ted!!

Stacey Francis February 9, 2008 at 2:18 pm

I just want to thank everyone for their support in my mother-in-law’s fight against cancer. She has worked very hard at her writing throughout the years. She has stuck with it after all the rejections and she finally got her big break. She is a very, very talented writer and deserves the recognition. I think it is wonderful that she has formed bonds with a wonderful group of fellow writers. Thanks again for the support.

SusanHenderson February 10, 2008 at 11:08 am

Thanks so much for being here, Stacey. It is a pleasure to give something back to Patry, who has given so much.