Question of the Week: Where? (Also: A contest!)

by Susan Henderson on May 14, 2007

Where do you live? State and country, please.

Wednesday, South African writer, Ken Barris will be here to discuss Coetzee, tattoos, post-colonialism, poetry, and his newest book, WHAT KIND OF CHILD. I hope you’ll be back to join the conversation.

Some etcetera: A shout out to the mighty Smith Magazine for the link, to E. I. Johnson, who interviewed me over here today, and to my homies who showed up for soccer on Mother’s Day – great appreciation to all of you! And lastly (now there’s a word I don’t use very often), I’m running a mysterious little contest, and the only thing you have to do to enter the contest is add Tommy Kane to your blogroll. (I think it would be fun to get more writers than artists linking to him.) I’ll announce the winner and the prize on Friday.

Richard May 14, 2007 at 1:08 am

I currently live in Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA. The “USA” is important because, believe it or not, some people are under the misapprehension that New Mexico is a separate country. Santa Fe is the highest state capital (in more ways than one) at 7,000 feet altitude, was colonized by the Spanish before the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock, and is the second largest art market in the USA, after New York. We have an official state question: “Red or green?” which refers to chile at just about every meal. It is not uncommon to sight a rattlesnake, a coyote, and a Val Kilmer on the same day, while the state bird, of course, is the roadrunner. Billy the Kid was shot over in Fort Sumner by Pat Garrett, and you can get a $7M tax benefit by shooting your movie here. Unfortunately, the median price of a house is quickly approaching $500,000, the schools are pretty bad, and water is getting scarce. I’ll bet you’re sorry you asked now, eh Susan?

Colin Matthew May 14, 2007 at 1:54 am

Multnomah County, Portland, Oregon, USA.

Nathalie May 14, 2007 at 2:22 am

For the time being, I live in the south east suburb of Rome, in Italy.
And in case you REALLY need to know, Rome is in the region of Lazio.

Hoo, tattoos…

And Tommy Kane is already on my blog roll.

Ellen Meister May 14, 2007 at 5:15 am

New York, US

Lori Oliva May 14, 2007 at 7:14 am

Good morning! I live in Atlanta, Ga. and while Tommy and I are “MS Friends”, I’ll add him to my blog roll right now!

L

Ric Marion May 14, 2007 at 7:52 am

I live on the banks of the Flint River, five miles from Lapeer, Michigan. Across the road is an alfalfa field and behind that 6,000 acres of woods owned by the state. The river is about 50 feet wide as it rolls by on its way to Lake Huron.
The first Baltimore Oriole of the season appeared yesterday, bright orange against the still unfolded leaves of the oak trees.

Ric

LaurenBaratz-Logsted May 14, 2007 at 7:53 am

Danbury, CT – Hat City! I like to say we still hate Kennedy around here – (we really don’t) – for singlehandedly dealing the death blow to the hat industry with his refusal to wear a hat to his inauguration.

Robin Slick May 14, 2007 at 8:03 am

Philadelphia, PA — right down the street from the Philadelphia Museum of Art so yeah, I can do the Rocky thing whenever I want…

…which is never

Mark Bastable May 14, 2007 at 8:14 am

I live on the edge of London, at the precise point at which it becomes not-London. My postcode is not-London; my phone number is London; the train from here to the centre of town takes longer to get there than the trains from fifty miles away, because our train stops at all the London places and those from further out go directly into town. North of my house lies twenty five miles of built-up metropolis. South of my house the countryside begins – though it’s very ordered, polite countryside all the way to Brighton and the sea. I’m an urban boy in suburban limbo, and if it were possible to buy a house with a big garden within rioting distance of Piccadilly Circus, I’d move back into the centre of the city tomorrow.

David Niall Wilson May 14, 2007 at 8:36 am

Hertford, NC, on the edge of The Great Dismal Swamp in a town where they have only two main streets and less than half a dozen stoplights. Highlighted in my stories written about OLD MILL, NC – which are sort of loosely set here…

DNW

Betsy May 14, 2007 at 8:57 am

Chicago, Illinois! Woot! (I’m from NYC, but I love it here.)

Frances O'Brien May 14, 2007 at 9:07 am

I live in the island of Jersey (not the State!) – it is one of the Channel Islands, just off the coast of France. It is 45 square miles of beautiful beaches and wonderful food. Heaven!

Clare Grant May 14, 2007 at 9:09 am

I live in Kent, UK. It’s the bottom south east corner of the country and known as the garden of England because of its rich arable land. Orchards and hop gardens characterise the countryside, as well as coppiced hazel and sweet chestnut woodland. This time of year, the woods are a sea of bluebells and a froth of Queen Anne’s lace is appearing along the verges.

I’ve linked to Tommy Kane.

Betsy May 14, 2007 at 9:13 am

PS – Great interview, Susan! And – I added TommyKane. He posted an awesome painting on my myspace yesterday.

Betsy May 14, 2007 at 9:14 am

Hey – my first comment got eated! I live in Chicago, Illinois!

Paula May 14, 2007 at 9:25 am

Louisville, KY, USA.

(That was SO easy it makes me nervous there’s going to be a big-shoe-dropping part II on Wednesday.)

amy May 14, 2007 at 9:26 am

I’m writing from Paris, France.

Kim Brittingham May 14, 2007 at 9:33 am

I live in a turn-of-the-century former tuberculosis asylum along the East River in New York, New York, USA, with a Dapper Dan Cuban ex-pat neighbor next door with the world’s most impeccable manners and a lady above who keeps her dead cats wrapped in the freezer.

Lee May 14, 2007 at 9:54 am

Hampton, Georgia. South of Atlanta, North of Macon. The first being the most important. Atlanta being the capital, also provokes the most number of responses as homestead. Nearly everyone in Georgia lives in some proximity to Atlanta and utilizes that to ring a tone of familiarity.
“Where are you from?”
“Atlanta.”
“Which part?”
“Hampton.”
“Oh. Where’s that.”
“Thirty minutes south of Atlanta.”
“Why didn’t you just say Hampton?”
“Most people don’t know where it is. Nascar fans maybe.”
“Oh. Don’t care for Nascar.”
“Neither do I.”
And so the conversation dribbles. Sometimes it doesn’t get much more American than Hampton, G-A- goshdarnit!

~Lee

lance reynald May 14, 2007 at 10:02 am

Lafayette, Colorado, USA….for now

Kimberly May 14, 2007 at 10:24 am

New York, New York

What’s a blog roll?

Jody Reale May 14, 2007 at 11:26 am

I was born in Colorado, USA and just kept on living there.
T. Kane blogroll: check.

Pia May 14, 2007 at 12:02 pm

New Orleans. Across the street from City Park. 1300 acres with over 1,000 live oaks, 249 of which are registered with the Live Oak Society, which means they’re old and big and achingly graceful. Also resilient after being under six feet of scuzzy water for 20 days. The ducks are back, and having lots of furry little ducklets. (Ducklings sound edible.)

robert westfield May 14, 2007 at 12:09 pm

New York, New York…near the Cloisters in Upstate Manhattan.

Jonathan Evison May 14, 2007 at 12:25 pm

. . . on an island in pugent sound, washington, america (fuck yeah!)

Noria May 14, 2007 at 12:28 pm

Santa Cruz, CA, in a studio by the sea.

Myfanwy Collins May 14, 2007 at 12:54 pm

The Granite State, USA.

Antoine Wilson May 14, 2007 at 1:30 pm

Los Angeles, where the waves today are flat : (

Susan Henderson May 14, 2007 at 2:33 pm

Thank you,everyone, for the links. The prize is a good one so get yourself in the running.

Kimberly – if you have a blog, you’ll have a blogroll. If you have a website but not a blog, you may not. I’m tempted to try to describe what a blogroll is and how to use it, but it will probably be as convoluted and misguided as it is when I give directions. Can you explain how to do the blogroll, t?

Kaytie May 14, 2007 at 2:38 pm

I live in a loft downtown San Diego, CA, but I’m itching to move back to my hometown, Seattle, WA. I think I’d go craftsman house, if I could afford it.

Ronlyn May 14, 2007 at 3:14 pm

Louisiana…USA

(For the record, it’s more beautiful and diverse than TV and movies and books typically make it out to be.)

Terry Bain May 14, 2007 at 3:52 pm

Spokane, WA, of course.

Terry Bain May 14, 2007 at 3:53 pm

Blog roll:

Like a roll call for blogs. Some blog platforms have blogrolls built in. For those that don’t, I recommend blogrolling.com.

Carolyn Burns Bass May 14, 2007 at 3:54 pm

I live in California’s great Inland Empire, at the tip of a pyramid whose base runs along the coast from Los Angeles, south to Newport Beach. I am one hour from the beach, the mountains, and the desert.

Carolyn Burns Bass May 14, 2007 at 3:55 pm

Tommy Kane, you’re added to my blogroll.

Jessica May 14, 2007 at 4:00 pm

I live in lovely scenic West Philadelphia, in the Keystone state, Pennsylvania in the USA.

When you think of West Philadelphia, do you think of the theme song to Fresh Prince?

Aurelio May 14, 2007 at 8:50 pm

I’m not much of a blogger, alas…

Is there a booby prize?

I live in a little corner of Altadena, CA, between the Rose Bowl and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. The Rose Bowl periodically shoots off sky rockets, JPL, real ones.

I have lived in other, more exotic places, but I like it here.

Laura Benedict May 14, 2007 at 8:55 pm

Carbondale, Illinois.

Well, actually, most people would say we’re in Murphysboro, but the address is Carbondale. We’re in the country, in a kind of strange, enchanted little corner of the county, with deep woods around us, and a winery and some apple and peach orchards owned by an Amish family up the road (the orchards, not the winery). There may also be a meth lab across the state highway from our property. Then again, they take regular target practice, so I’m thinking that a meth lab wouldn’t want to draw that kind of attention. The orchards are nice, though.

I’m glad I now know what a blogroll is–but my blog is on myspace, so I don’t think I have a roll. But I’ll be sure to visit Tommy Kane!

Simon Haynes May 14, 2007 at 9:52 pm

Perth, Western Australia

dennis mahagin May 14, 2007 at 11:31 pm

My name is Dennis, and I live in Bumfuck, Egypt.

If you think I am kidding, just come to my town, for a brief visit.

It is the most bucolic of all Bumfucks, anywhere in Egypt, or across the globe.

No one here in Bumfuck has an iota of requisite sophistication– to make even a modest attempt at Blogrolling.

Here in Bumfuck, Blogrolling is carried out by fast-footed Riverdance Lumberjacks, on some pristine body of water, like say, the Yakima River!

I will be glad to add Mr. Tommy Kane to the list of Links on my Blog, however.

If that counts. 😉

But for now,

It’s Lights Out In Bumfuck! 😉

ps… Someday, perhaps I will visit Terry Bain, who lives in a very huge city– only 3 hours away, as da crow fly. ;( –D

Amy Kiger-Williams May 15, 2007 at 3:34 am

I live in northern New Jersey, in Tony Soprano’s neck of the woods.

Susanna May 15, 2007 at 8:34 am

In a 1950 bungalow in Denver, Colorado, where I haven’t yet checked to see if last night’s downpour seeped through my failing basement wall … and with a schnauzer sleeping on my foot.

Kimberly May 15, 2007 at 9:40 am

Seriously and truly – I’m a luddite.

I have no blog (if I did, it would be called a “blah-g”) and I don’t get the whole MySpace phenomena – so can I still be entered if add Tommy Kane to my bookmarks bar and add him to my daily morning reading (which I already did)?

If not – that’s cool. 🙂

(Does anyone else think that a “blog roll” sounds like #14a on a Vietnamese menu? I’d like mine extra spicy, please!)

Susan Henderson May 15, 2007 at 11:57 am

Well, I don’t want to leave anyone out. So I’ll count all of it: blogroll, a post on your blog or website linking there, subscribing to the rss feed, myspace friending. Everyone can enter one way or another.

Okay, I’m bunkering down on my edits all day.

Gail Siegel May 15, 2007 at 12:55 pm

I sometimes live in a state of confusion, or of despair. Today, I am in a state of elation, returning home from the Inland Empire (it’s so DRY!!!) where my son graduated from Pitzer College, back to seaside — okay, it’s a lake, but it’s very big — Evanston, IL, USA. 1/2 mile north of Chicago.

Loraine May 15, 2007 at 1:42 pm

Living in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Dreaming of living in the south of France. Or Italy. I’ll take either.

Jordan E. Rosenfeld May 15, 2007 at 1:42 pm

The closest city you will ever have heard of to me is: San Jose, California.

Fivekids55 May 15, 2007 at 1:55 pm

State of Connecticut, USA

Mike C May 15, 2007 at 2:33 pm

I don’t have a blog, nor even a dog! But I do live in a rather nice spot, Eze village on the moyen corniche between Nice (pronounced niece) and Monaco, where I work. An odd thing about Monaco is its Jeckel and Hyde nature; when you are least suspecting it (right about now), it transforms itself into a Formula 1 Grand Prix cricuit!

Jason Boog May 15, 2007 at 4:39 pm

I live in Brooklyn, New York.

That puts me pretty close to you Susan. It was great running into you last night at the book release party. Good luck editing your novel…

Julie Ann Shapiro May 15, 2007 at 8:27 pm

I like in a quaint beach town in coastal North San Diego County. No blog.

Claudia May 15, 2007 at 8:39 pm

Austin, Texas, USA

daryl May 16, 2007 at 1:48 am

San Ramon, California
35 miles from downtown San Francisco

David Thorpe May 16, 2007 at 6:06 am

I live in the land of dragons and bards – mid-Wales. That is west of England and east of Ireland for the geographically-challenged! Specifically, the beautiful Dyfi (pronounced ‘dovey’) Valley, which contains a UN-designated ecologically special area known as a ‘biosphere’.

Mark Bastable May 16, 2007 at 8:48 am

To the English ear, it sounds like ‘bog roll’ which is slang for toilet tissue, which, given my opinion of 99% of blogs, is most appropriate.

Bruce Hoppe May 16, 2007 at 9:45 am

On five acres (Ranchette Deluxe) near Ojitos Frios, New Mexico.

And Tommy Kane consider yourself linked

Gail Siegel May 16, 2007 at 10:10 am

Well, this exercise forced me to learn how to put up links on my blog. Thank you, Susan. Sometimes, if I’m not coerced, I don’t make progress.

Tommy Kane, you are now my only link! I promise to remedy that in the future…

Jennifer Shumate May 16, 2007 at 10:11 am

Currently, I live in Katy, TX outside of Houston. Within a few months, however, I will be moving to San Marcos, TX to go to school! Woohoo!

Colin May 16, 2007 at 12:25 pm

Edinburgh, Scotland!

Tommy now added 🙂

daryl May 16, 2007 at 12:45 pm

oh, if you really want to see where i live, come see my latest blog posting!!

Susan Henderson May 16, 2007 at 3:16 pm

So great to see so many of you here, and thanks very much for those who are linking to Tommy Kane. Thanks also for those of you who linked to LitPark, which was not at all required for this contest but hugely appreciated all the same. Contest ends tomorrow night so get yourself entered if you want to be eligible for the prize.

Also, to Pasha Malla: My email’s acting up, but the answer is Heck Yeah, and I’ll write you later.

LaurenBaratz-Logsted May 16, 2007 at 3:37 pm

I don’t know how to link people, so I sent Tommy a MySpace friend request.

A.S. King May 16, 2007 at 7:44 pm

Smack in the middle of 50 acres of thick forest in Berks County, Pennsylvania. Presently called ‘tick-country.’ (Also, ‘hick-country’ and/or ‘dick-country’ if my trip to the local hardware store today is anything to go by.)

n.l. belardes May 17, 2007 at 10:42 am

Bakersfield, CA.

(This one was easy! Even I could do it!) I’ll add the Tomster.

Suzanne Kamata May 20, 2007 at 3:21 am

I live in Aizumi, Japan, which is on the island of Shikoku.