LitPark Announcement: BEA Signing and Party News!

by Susan Henderson on May 10, 2010

A quick announcement that Book Expo America (BEA) is just around the corner, and I would love to see you there.

I’ll be signing galleys of UP FROM THE BLUE at Table 29, 10:30-11:00 a.m., Wednesday, May 26. That means, even though the book doesn’t come out until September, you can get an early copy. I hope you’ll stop by!

AlgonquinBEAinvite

[Sorry, I’m just posting the pretty invitation now. I wasn’t allowed to advertise it because we had to keep the number of guests within the fire code. But isn’t that a pretty invitation??]

I’ll also be attending the 50th anniversary celebration of Harper Lee’s TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, and later that night, the book bloggers party at the Algonquin. Hope to see you there!

Jimnichols May 11, 2010 at 8:40 am

Wicked cool, Sue! Wish I could be there and get an early copy.

SusanHenderson May 11, 2010 at 10:45 am

I wish you could come, too. Then I’d know at least one person would come to my signing!

Jimnichols May 11, 2010 at 10:51 am

Are you kidding? Standing room only!

Jimnichols May 11, 2010 at 11:04 am

PS…I just read Jamie Ford’s comments. Great stuff!

robinslick May 11, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Make that two and I’ve already RSVP’d for the party. How exciting is this!

SusanHenderson May 11, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Okay, so I got wind of some of the other authors signing the same day and general area as me: Joyce Carol Oats, Lemony Snicket, Kate diCamillo, Holly Black, Cory Doctorow, Alex Sokoloff, Gary Trudeau, Rachel Shukert, Andrew Gross, Lane Smith. Any others I should know about? Getting excited!

SusanHenderson May 11, 2010 at 3:09 pm

That makes it a good day already!

SusanHenderson May 11, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Wasn’t that the nicest thing? He’s awesome.

robinslick May 11, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Oh, my God, I love how casually you just threw out that list of names. I’ll be the one standing there tongue-tied and blushing, trying to remember my name and how to make a coherent sentence. xo

SusanHenderson May 11, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I’ll be blushing, too. But what fun… all these cool book-nerds in one place!

siamckye May 14, 2010 at 10:37 pm

That’s pretty cool, Susan. You’ll be floating on air with this. 🙂

SusanHenderson May 15, 2010 at 7:28 am

Thanks, Sia. Loved your piece with Ellen Meister and a writer’s number one job: Waiting!

Laura J. W. Ryan May 15, 2010 at 8:48 am

Sounds like a good time, Sue! Congratulations with UP FROM THE BLUE!!

Laura

SusanHenderson May 15, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Laura! Means so much to me that you’re here. And thank you.

Sia McKye May 15, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Thanks Susan. I have some wonderful authors visiting. I love seeing glimpses of the person behind the book and my readers do too. and she just cracked me up because it’s so darn true. 🙂

I’m thinking I need to set up a guest post with you and Up With The Blue.

SusanHenderson May 15, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I would be honored! But I’ll never be as funny as Ellen… she’s got the gift.

SusanHenderson May 16, 2010 at 5:54 am

Today, over at The Nervous Breakdown, I talk with bestselling author, M.J. Rose, about her journey from self-publication to her own television series, as well as her work promoting others’ books through AuthorBuzz. Come join the conversation!

mlakers May 19, 2010 at 9:02 am

Oh, how I wish I could! (The IPPYs are being awarded that evening, too.)

SusanHenderson May 20, 2010 at 8:53 am

Mary, tell us all about how the IPPYs go. Hope you win big!

SusanHenderson May 25, 2010 at 3:58 pm

So so sorry about the site being down, everyone. All is well again. Hope to see some of you at BEA tomorrow!

terrybain May 25, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Finally!

SusanHenderson May 31, 2010 at 8:20 am

Lots of fun changes coming to LitPark… very busy behind the scenes. There will be no new posts in June, but hopefully, the first Monday in July. See you then!

In the meantime, I’ve posted LitPark’s Guide to Finding a Literary Agent over at The Nervous Breakdown. Should be helpful to anyone who’s looking for an agent. And if you have better ideas, by all means, share them! http://www.thenervousbreakdown.com/shenderson/2010/05/litparks-guide-to-finding-a-literary-agent/

SusanHenderson June 9, 2010 at 7:34 am

More job openings (thank you, Eric!):

Creative Writing Facilitators
Voices UnBroken
Bronx, New York, United States
Salary: Base Pay: $75 per session

Assistant Teaching Artists
Opening Act, Inc.
New York, New York, United States
Salary: $20-$35 an hour, plus travel stipend

SusanHenderson June 11, 2010 at 8:38 am

Another job opening! (Thanks to Michael Czyzniejewski for this.)

The English Department of Bowling Green State University seeks strong applicants for a tenure-track assistant professor in Poetry Writing and Literature.

Duties: The Creative Writing Program at Bowling Green State University seeks a poet who can contribute to both its undergraduate and graduate instructional programs as well as enhance its national reputation. Teaching duties include graduate and undergraduate poetry workshops and literature courses. The successful candidate will work with students on BFA and MFA theses and may be called on to advise BFA and MFA majors. He/she will be expected to engage in creative/scholarly writing and publishing, to serve on program and department committees, to serve as program director on a rotating basis with the other program faculty, and to participate actively in the life and governance of the program including its efforts to recruit, advise, and retain students.

Qualifications:
1) PhD in English or MFA in Creative Writing by start date of employment.
2) Specialization in poetry writing.
3) Strong record of publication of poetry, including at least one book of poetry.
4) Strong commitment to excellence in both undergraduate and graduate teaching, including the teaching of literature.
5) Desirable attributes: secondary specialization in creative nonfiction; experience editing a national literary journal; and
interest in form/theory of poetry.

Salary: Competitive.

Effective Date of Employment: The starting date of employment is August 2011.

BGSU is a university of about 17,000 students located in a small town, recently ranked 11th in the nation as one of the most livable small cities by DEMOGRAPHICS DAILY; it is 25 minutes south of Toledo, Ohio, and one hour south of Ann Arbor, Michigan. The English Department offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in rhetoric, literature, creative writing, technical communication, and TESL. The Department has a full-time teaching staff of 41, about 450 undergraduate majors in English, English Education and Creative Writing, and approximately 80 graduate students. For 43 years BGSU’s Creative Writing Program has been known nationally for its excellence and is the home of the award-winning Mid-American Review. The Program hosts a Visiting Writers Series, Winter Wheat Literary Festival, and Open Writing Workshops. Nationally known writers, such as Linda Gregerson, Marge Piercy, C.K. Williams, Stuart Dybek, Grace Paley, Stephen Dunn, and Rick Moody, visit the campus to read their works and meet with faculty and students. Faculty graduates of the MFA program have won such awards as the Yale Younger Poets Award, the Guggenheim, NEA Individual Artist Fellowships, the Iowa Short Fiction Prize, Willa Cather Prize, Bobst Award, the Bluestem Award, and the National Contemporary Poetry Award. MFA alumni include Jean Thompson, Carolyn Forche, and Anthony Doerr.

Submit application materials to: Kristine Blair, Chair, English Department, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403. Complete application files should include: 1) letter outlining qualifications relevant to this position; 2) a CV which includes a brief description of courses taught; 3) at least three current original letters of reference; 4) transcripts; 5) writing samples. Application Deadline: Postmarked by 11/15/10. BGSU is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.

SusanHenderson June 16, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Another job for you creative people needing work:

Development Writer (P/T or F/T)
New Jersey Performing Arts Center