Question of the Month: Spooky

by Susan Henderson on April 4, 2011

What is your favorite spooky story, and in what way do you enjoy being afraid?

I’m on a spooky, gothic reading binge these days… Daphne du Maurier, the Brontë sisters, Shirley Jackson. And I’ve been gobbling up gothic movies, too: Phantom of the Opera, The Haunting of Hill House, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, and all things Hitchcock. Are you getting the idea of my new book?

I have so much to talk about but no time to do it because I’m in the middle of judging a fiction contest; and in May, the UK version of UP FROM THE BLUE launches so I’m busy with interviews, magazine articles, and whatever the UK team asks me to do. Here is the UK cover, by the way…

Some links to recent interviews: Michael Kimball (author of the beautiful heartbreak, DEAR EVERYBODY and the brand new US, which I’m reading right now) interviewed me at The Faster Times; Juneau and Xena interviewed me for their Adam Lambert-focused radio show; and Tim O’Shea interviewed me over at Talking with Tim. The Ocean City library posted a nice blog about my book here, and A Certain Book posted one, as well, but there’s a big spoiler in it so don’t click if you haven’t read the book. I also have an article in this month’s American Book Review, and I’m doing something very exciting this week that I’ll report when I’m certain I won’t jinx things. Soon, maybe next month’s post, I want to talk about my trip to San Diego. It involved lots of Kleenex and turned my head around in the best of ways, but I want to really take the time to tell the story right so you can benefit from it.

Let me end with a big thank you to Sally and Christie at the Gallery Bookshop who wrote to tell me they sold 70 copies of my book just from talking it up to their customers. Yay for indie booksellers!

Amy Wallen April 4, 2011 at 2:31 am

Oh Susan, you must add H.P. Lovecraft to your list of reads. Spooky that will crawl on your bones for ages.

I’m already excited about your next book!

Susan Henderson April 4, 2011 at 11:28 am

I actually watched a great documentary on Lovecraft with Neil Gaiman commentary. It’s all about fear of the unknown and his wonderfully strange life. Here’s the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5gPVGkZbP8

You can watch it for free here: http://suvudu.com/2011/01/lovecraft-documentary-fear-of-the-unknown-now-free-to-view-online.html

Robin Slick April 4, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Oh, God, I’m scared by daily life let alone scary fiction (yes, if I read about a monster I really will believe it’s hiding under my bed) and while I remain thoroughly traumatized by Poe’s Tell-tale Heart, it is indeed my all-time favorite.

Such great stuff going on in your life! And can’t wait to hear about the big news. 🙂

Susan Henderson April 5, 2011 at 12:12 am

I love The Tell-Tale Heart. And last time I was home, my dad reminded me of the guy who gets sealed in the wine cellar.

It’s interesting that so many people have interpreted “spooky” to mean the horror genre. (Also interesting that almost everyone decided to respond to my blog over on FaceBook.) The kind of spooky I like is more towards Wuthering Heights–damp and wind and windows rattling, falling in love with someone with a temper and a cruel streak, finding the choices you’ve made have locked you away from your own happiness. Poe, I think, is more towards that same kind of spookiness–finding yourself slowly going crazy, finding that the person you trusted was untrustworthy, not being able to let go of your lover who’s died. Or more towards Gaiman… an abandoned child being raised in a cemetery by the dead. Or Dickens… a man haunted by his life of selfishness. My kind of creepy!

Susan Henderson April 5, 2011 at 12:14 am

Clarification: my dad reminded me (as in reminisced) about the story of the guy who gets sealed in the wine cellar.

Robin Slick April 5, 2011 at 11:09 am

Sigh….Facebook is why I’ve pretty much abandoned my blog.. I’m still trying to work out how to remedy that but yeah, FB is just so freaking convenient and it’s where everyone hangs out these days.

Ha ha, you didn’t have clarify the wine cellar story.

Susan Henderson April 5, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Same here. But I can’t complain because I do the same thing.

Give Monty a scratch for me. 🙂

Dan Conaway April 8, 2011 at 6:32 pm

[not scary, just: I LOVE the UK cover!!!]

Billy Bones April 8, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I think I’m going to like this new book, too.

Nathalie April 28, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I completely missed that question. The months zoom too fast by… And that’s spooky.
I don’t read much spooky literature. I love Poe, of course but what else? I’d have trouble pinning another name on that question.